Food Detective Challenge
When you taste the zing of the pepperoni on your pizza, or the tartness of that lemony pastry, there’s more at work than just your taste buds. From sight to smell, all of your senses come into play when you’re feasting! Try this experiment to see how your tongue stacks up without one of your senses. Will you taste the difference?
- Ask a pal (or family member) to blindfold you before you bite into your next snack or meal (or just keep your eyes closed—no peeking, though!)
- Slowly take bites of the different foods in front of you. Let the food roll around in your mouth as you chew before swallowing.
- After you swallow, take a guess at what was in your mouth and SPECIFIC flavours you tasted.
- Have someone write down your thoughts, write them down yourself or use the record feature on your phone.
- At the end, take off your blindfold to see how you did! Did that bite of turkey taste like ham?
- Did you mistake a pear chunk for apple? You might be surprised at how different some of the most familiar foods can taste without seeing them first!
You can do this challenge with food already prepared for you, but here are a few suggestions if you need some tasty inspiration! Just ask your pal to mix up the food before you begin.
- Cubed apple
- Cheese chunks
- Banana slices
- Chocolate chips
- Apple chips
- Cubed melon
- Cubed roasted turkey or chicken
- Cubed pear